Thursday, September 15, 2011

Elizabeth Cady Stanton


I really enjoyed reading this work from Elizabeth Cady Stanton. From it I gathered that she was a very intelligent woman, as well as an eloquent public speaker. She was very much able to draw me in with her words.
In this speech Elizabeth Cady Stanton not only refutes the claim that women are “inferior” to men, but she also provides proof through historical examples of valiant women who are now revered as heroes. She takes claims that men are superior to women morally, intellectually, and physically and completely turns them upside down. I loved the way she used contemporary examples, such as the “soul sickening deeds” of priests on page two, to prove her point. She argues for equality among all, and against claims that women should “obey their husbands”. She states on page four that, “The only happy households we now see are those in which Husband and wife share equally in counsel and government.”
In some ways reading this made me feel very guilty. Strong intelligent women fought for our rights and equality at their own risk. They took the brave steps to ensure that future generations of women, such as myself, have every right that men have. Now, thanks to these women, I have these rights but I have failed to exercise them to their fullest extent. I am nearly 21 years old and have not voted in a single election. I think if Elizabeth Cady Stanton learned that for three years I squandered something she and other women worked so hard for, she would turn over in her grave.
I also think Stanton would be sad to see how American society has yet to overcome many of the obstacles she was fighting against over a decade ago. Women still earn consistently lower wages than men. There is still a stereotype that women do the housework while men go off to earn the money. We discussed in class on Wednesday how many television commercials, especially those for cleaning and other household products, portray old-fashioned gender roles. I think this really says something about how our society still operates.
I believe Stanton was making a very bold statement about women and minorities in American society in the 19th century.  I see how in some ways her efforts were so successful that the liberties she fought for are now often taken for granted. In other ways women and minorities are still waging her war for equality. It is a war that I believe will continue for many years to come. It seems to me that once one group finally gains equal rights, society finds another to persecute. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you serenity i think that Stanton was a very intelligent women. I wonder what she would think of women today, like we said in class that someone women matter a fact some men don't even vote! i would also like to here her thoughts on some other matters of today's time period example would be the way some women act, i do think she was right give women 100 years they will do great things.

    ReplyDelete